Waste Management has been awarded the exclusive contract to provide solid waste disposal and recycling services to Butler Township residents. The contract is for eight (8) years effective January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2026.
- Service under this contract is mandatory for all residents of one and two family dwellings.
- Read our overview: 2022 Solid Waste & Recycling Collection Guide
- Learn about Hazardous and Electronic Waste
- See Rate and Billing Date Information
- If you have additional questions, contact Waste Management
- Phone: (800) 866-4460.
- Web Site: www.wm.com
Basic Service Information
- Residents will receive two 96-gallon carts, one for trash and one for recycling.
- All recyclables must be placed inside the cart for service. No recycled material will be accepted outside of the recycling cart.
- Residents are permitted to fill the 96-gallon cart and place two additional 33-gallon trash bags outside of their trash cart each week.
Bulk and Additional Trash Bags
- Residents must contact Waste Management 48-hours in advance of their service day to schedule pickup of the additional material and to arrange for prepayment
- Residents must prepay an additional charge for any bulk item.
- Bulk items include any material household items that do not fit in to a 33-gallon trash bag, e.g. furniture and accepted appliances..
- Extra Bag Tags may be purchased at $2.00 per tag for each additional bag beyond your service level. Tags can be purchased at the Butler Twp. Municipal Building.
- A 15% senior discount is available.
- Residents must contact Waste Management at (800) 866-4460 to request a senior discount
- Residents must provide proof of age (65 and over).
- Residents receiving the senior discount will be permitted to fill the 96-gallons cart each week.
- Any additional 33-gallon bags placed outside of the cart will be charged $2 per bag.
- Your Trash collection will be every Week.
- Recycling Collection will be every other week.
- All items must be placed at the curb no later than 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled day of collection to avoid interrupted service.
- Please review the Street Listing shown to the right, or click the following link for your collection week.
Waste Management observes the following holidays. When your collection day falls on or after one of these holidays, your service will be delayed one day during that week only.
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
The following items will be collected for recycling:
- Plastic bottle, jars and jugs (narrow neck containers labeled #1 and #2)
- Food & Beverage Cans (Steel, tin & aluminum soda, vegetable, fruit & tuna cans)
- Paper (Brown paper bags, non confidential office paper, newspaper and magazines)
- Flattened Cardboard & Paperboard (Cereal boxes, tissue boxes, etc., cardboard mailing boxes)
Items you must leave out of your recycling:
- No Glass Bottles & Containers
- No food waste (Compost instead)
- No plastic bags & Film (Find a recycling site at plasticfilmrecycling.org)
- No foam cups & containers (Check Earth911.org for options)
- No Needles (Keep medical waste out of recycling. Place in safe disposal containers like Waste Management MedWaste Tracker Box)
Seasonal Collection Information
- Curbside collection of bagged leaves 2 weeks during the spring and 4 weeks in the fall.
- Leaves must be put in biodegradable paper bags and placed at the curb on the regular collection day.
- Bio-degradable bags are available at building supply, hardware stores, and Amazon.
Leaf Collection Dates – Updated per WM 4/14/23
- May 8th-11th
- May 15th-18th
- Christmas trees placed at the curb from December 26th through January 31st will be collected at no extra cost.
- Trees that exceed 7 feet in length must be cut so that no portion exceeds 7 feet in length.