Company meteorologists have been tracking a storm for several days. The system is expected to bring periods of significant rainfall, strong wind gusts of more than 50 miles per hour and potential thunderstorms to central and eastern Ohio, western Pennsylvania and western West Virginia on Saturday. With rain accumulations of more than four inches possible in some areas, localized flooding could occur. Precipitation began late Thursday and is expected to continue into late Saturday for many areas, while sustained winds and heavy gusts, peaking Saturday afternoon, are expected through early Sunday morning.
The winds and rain could slow restoration efforts, as crews cannot safely operate bucket trucks when wind speeds exceed 40 miles per hour. Saturated soil and flooding can also hinder access and create hazardous conditions for crews as they work to make repairs to lines and equipment damaged by fallen trees and branches.
You’re encouraged to prepare in advance of the storm. Here are some items to have on hand:
- Fully charged devices and car charger.
- Flashlight, portable radio and extra batteries.
- Extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person.
- First-aid kit.
- Emergency supply of bottled water and convenience foods that do not require cooking.
If you should lose power, manage through safely by following these tips:
- Assume all downed or low-hanging power lines are energized and dangerous. Stay at least 30 feet away and report downed lines ASAP to 9-1-1.
- If you’re using a backup generator for emergency power, follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use it safely.
- Use a flashlight or battery-powered lantern for light. Use care when burning candles; open flames are a dangerous fire hazard.
We may not know you are without power. Customers should always let us know if they are experiencing an outage, even if a neighbor has already reported it.
Report your outage and stay informed throughout the restoration process:
- Report your outage online. You can log into your online account to view the status of a reported outage, or view our outage map.
- Text OUT to 544487 (LIGHTS). Text STAT to 544487 to receive an update for your reported outage. If you’re not enrolled in text messaging, text REG to 544487 to get started.
- Call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877).
- Customers with a communication disability can report an outage using the appropriate TTY/TDD relay service, our online form or text messaging.