Close this search box.

Road & Street Permits

Public Works Department

If you have questions about the Public Works Department please contact us:

For commonly requested information visit:

Street Opening Permits

Any person desiring to make any opening or excavation in any of the streets or rights-of-way in the Township of Butler shall make application to the Township Manager, in writing, upon blanks furnished by the township setting forth the name of the applicant, the exact location of the proposed opening or excavation, and the approximate width or depth thereof, and shall contain an agreement on the part of the applicant that the work shall be done in full compliance with the ordinances of the township and the laws of the commonwealth in relation thereto, and that the applicant shall well and truly save, defend and keep harmless the township from and indemnify it against any and all actions, suits, demands, payments, costs and charges for or by reason of the proposed opening or excavation, and all damages to persons or property resulting in any manner therefrom, or occurring in the prosecution of the work connected therewith, or from any other matter, cause or thing relating thereto, or by any leak, explosion or other injury from any pipe, apparatus, conduit, or any other matter placed in said excavation,

Permit Fee and Bond

Before any permit shall be issued to open or excavate in any street or rights-of-way in the township, the applicant shall pay to the Township Manager a permit fee as designated by resolution of the Butler Township Board of Commissioners. All work pursuant to permit must be commenced within 60 days of issue and completed within 120 days of issue. Before any permit shall be issued, a bond in the amount of 110% of the road restoration costs as determined by the Road Superintendent in a form of security approved by the Township Manager or Solicitor shall be posted with the Township Manager to ensure compliance with the terms and conditions of the permit and this article. Bond is to be for a period of 36 months.

 For more information – refer to Article III, Excavations and Openings Section 245 in the Codified Ordinance.

Road Occupancy Permits

(Driveway Installation and Changes)

If you plan on putting in a new driveway or paving an old one, be sure your contractor addresses the issue of water drainage where your driveway meets the road or road right-of-way.

  • The contractor is responsible for correct water drainage where your driveway accesses the street.
  • Blocking any type of water drainage course in Butler Township is in violation of First Class Township Code, Section 2067.

A Road Occupancy Permit, aka Driveway Permit Application must be submitted for all new driveways and changes to existing ones. 

If you have any questions, or need assistance please call the Road Department at 724-283-3430, x302.