Waste Management is the solid waste and recycling hauler for Butler Township. In addition to handling regular trash and recycling they will dispose of household hazardous and electronic waste. See the 2024 Collection Guide & Schedule here.
Household Hazardous Waste and Electronic Recycling Collection
Household Hazardous Waste and Electronic Recycling Collection will be included in your monthly fee. To participate in this program please read the following information provided by Waste Management and follow the instructions to set up a pick up after January 1, 2019. A printable version of Hazardous Waste and Electronic Recycling
You can now dispose of your household generated special materials safely, easily and responsibly. The At Your Door Special Collection SM Program SM is a residential service offered by Waste Management to provide year-round collections for you.
For a printable version of the following information, click on the following link: Household Hazardous Waste Collection Information Flyer
How does the “At Your Door” program work?
To Participate, you must set up a collection appointment. There are three ways to schedule a collection:
- Online: www.WMAtYourDoor.com
- Call: 1-800-449-7587 (Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm Eastern Time)
- Email: AtYourDoor@WM.com
The Call Center operators will guide you through the steps toward a safe and successful collection. You will be asked several questions, including your address and the type and amount of materials available for the pick up. You will be provided a convenient collection date and information about where to place the kit for collection. A kit will be sent to your home in plenty of time for you to gather and pack your materials.
- Preparing for collection. The collection kit includes an instruction sheet and other items to help pack and secure your household generated special materials. Please read the instruction sheet included in the kit.
- Material is collected. On the scheduled date, the customer service technician will collect materials directly from your home. They will sort and pack the materials for proper transportation, recycling and disposal. Participants will receive a postage-paid survey card to complete and mail back to help track the program.
- 4. You have more material than will fit into the Kit? Remember, this service is available year-round. Just schedule another collection! Small quantities may be combined with your neighbors. Call Center Representatives are available from Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM ET. Leave a message after hours, weekends and holidays. Email the Call Center: AtYourDoor@WM.com
Managing Household Hazardous Waste
The best method of managing Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is to prevent its generation in the first place. This involves selecting the least toxic item “to do the job” and buying only the minimum amounts necessary. Buying in large quantities is not a bargain if half of it has to be discarded. In the future, please consider buying environmentally friendly products.
For additional information about disposing of harzardous household waste, visith the At Your Door Special Collection SM Program‘s website.
Disposing of Common Household Items
Latex paint is not a hazardous waste. It can often be donated to community groups and other organizations for re-use. Please consider this option before disposal.
Used motor oil is not hazardous, but may pollute our groundwater, waterways and soil if not properly managed. Many automotive station, auto parts and supply stores will accept used motor oil for recycling.
Automotive batteries may be exchanged at the place of purchase. Many battery retailers offer recycling even if you are not purchasing a new battery. In some cases, there may be a charge. Some scrap yards will also purchase lead acid batteries.
Phone Books. Any Resident interested in not having Phone Books delivered to their address can go to www.yellowpagesoptout.com and follow the prompts. At this site you will be able to “Opt-Out” of receiving any or all of the directories delivered to Butler County Residents. If you have any questions, please contact Marcie at 724-283-3430, ext. 212.
Prescription Drug Recycling Program. Leftover and expired prescription drugs can be dropped of for FREE at the Butler Township Police Department Lobby between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM. All liquid medication must be in their original containers. For more information on the disposal of unused medication, please click on the following flyer. Getting Rid of Unused Medications
For more information on HHW, visit DEP Hazardous waste information at: dep.pa.gov
The following links contain additional information about hazardous waste: