Butler Township Zoning Department
Ensuring the quality of life of those who live, work, and visit Butler Township by:
Zoning Department Contacts
|For Zoning or Building questions:||(724) 287-7465|
|Zoning Officer:||Jesse Hines||Ext. 216|
|Regulations Inspector:||James Sproat||Ext. 211|
|Zoning Secretary:||Theresa Giesler||Ext. 210|
For Zoning or Building Permit Applications, visit the Applications & Permit page.
The Zoning Department is responsible for a variety of functions within Butler Township. Including:
- Zoning administration and enforcement
- Review and approval of land development and subdivisions
- Building permits and inspections for both residential and commercial projects
- Comprehensive planning
- Issuance and inspection of on-lot sewage systems
- Municipal demographics and planning studies
- Code enforcement
The information listed is not all inclusive. It is intended for general information purposes. There may be recent changes that have not been listed. Please contact the Zoning Department for the latest revisions.
Construction projects, Building and Use Changes all require zoning approval, the issuance of a building permit and possibly other permits and approvals. Contact the Zoning Department for assistance in completing these requirements.
Statewide Building Code
Butler Township has opted in to the Statewide Building Code – effective August 8, 2004. Listed below are examples of some projects that require a permit and examples of projects that do not require a permit.
Before beginning any project you should check with the zoning department for help in determining what, if any permits or approvals are required.
- New House Construction
- Residential Home Addition
- Commercial Construction/Addition
- In Ground Pools and Above Ground Pools greater than 24 inches deep *
- Elevated Deck
- Storage Shed or Garage
- Windows of a Larger Size
- Retaining Walls higher than four feet
- Home Occupation (may also require approval from the Zoning Hearing Board)
No Permit Required
- Replacement of Shingles or Windows on a Home (Same size)
- Patio Slab
- Retaining Walls four feet in height or less
- Replacement Siding on a Home
* Swimming Pools
All Swimming Pools, above Ground, in-ground and inflatable with a sidewall depth of greater than 24 inches require a permit, shall be located on the lot as required for principle buildings, shall be completely surrounded by an enclosure at least four feet high with a self latching gate and comply with code specifications.