Trash & Recycling
Waste Disposal & Recycling Services
Waste Management has been awarded the exclusive contract to provide solid waste disposal and recycling services to Butler Township residents. The contract is for eight (8) years effective January 1, 2019 through December 31, 2026. Service under this contract is mandatory for all residents of one and two family dwellings.
General Information from Waste Management
Dear Butler Township Resident:
We are excited to announce that Butler Township decided to contract with Waste Management as your exclusive trash and recycling. Our team prides ourselves in providing the customer complete satisfaction. We are honored to be given this opportunity, and we are certain you will be satisfied with the services you receive. For information, please contact Waste Management at (800) 866-4460. You can also visit our website at www.wm.com.
• Residents will receive two 96-gallon carts, one for trash and one for recycling.
• All recyclables must be placed inside the cart for service. No recycled material will be accepted outside of the recycling cart.
• Residents are permitted to fill the 96-gallon cart and place two additional 33-gallon trash bags outside of their trash cart each week.
• More than two bags outside of the provided cart will be charged $2 per bag. Residents must contact Waste Management 48-hours in advance of their service day to schedule pickup of the additional material and to arrange for prepayment.
• Residents must prepay an additional charge for any bulk item. Bulk items include any material household item, such as furniture and accepted appliances, that do not fit in to a 33-gallon trash bag. Please contact Waste Management for more information, to schedule a bulk pickup and to arrange prepayment. Bulk pick up requests must be placed 48 hours in advance.
• A 15% senior discount is available. Residents must contact Waste Management at (800) 866-4460 to request a senior discount and to provide proof of age (65 and over). Residents receiving the senior discount will be permitted to fill the 96-gallons cart each week. Any additional 33-gallon bags placed outside of the cart will be charged $2 per bag.
Extra Bag Tags may be purchased at $2.00 per tag for each additional bag beyond your service level. Tags can be purchased at the Butler Twp. Municipal Building.
COLLECTION DAY: Your Trash collection will be every Week. While your Recycling Collection will be every other
week. • Please review the Street Listing in the following link, for your collection week. All items must be placed at the curb no later than 6:00 a.m. on your scheduled day of collection to avoid interrupted service.
LEAF COLLECTION: Curbside collection of bagged leaves 2 weeks during the spring and 4 weeks in the fall. Leaves must be put in biodegradable paper bags and placed at the curb on the regular collection day. Bio-degradable bags are available at building supply, hardware stores, and Amazon.
CHRISTMAS TREES: Christmas trees placed at the curb from December 26th through January 31st will be collected at no extra cost. Trees that exceed 7 feet in length must be cut so that no portion exceeds 7 feet in length.
BILLING DUE DATES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Dec 31 For services rendered in January, February, March June 30 For services rendered in July, August, September
March 31 For services rendered in April, May, June Sept 30 For services rendered in October, November, December
2019 OBSERVED HOLIDAYS
Waste Management observes the following holidays. When your collection day falls on or after one of these holidays, your service will be delayed one day during that week only.
New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day & Christmas Day
The following items will be collected for recycling:
- Plastic bottle, jars and jugs (narrow neck containers labeled #1 and #2)
- Food & Beverage Cans (Steel, tin & aluminum soda, vegetable, fruit & tuna cans)
- Paper (Brown paper bags, non confidential office paper, newspaper and magazines)
- Flattened Cardboard & Paperboard (Cereal boxes, tissue boxes, etc., cardboard mailing boxes)
Items you must leave out of your recycling:
- No Glass Bottles & Containers
- No food waste (Compost instead)
- No plastic bags & Film (Find a recycling site at plasticfilmrecycling.org)
- No foam cups & containers (Check Earth911.org for options)
- No Needles (Keep medical waste out of recycling. Place in safe disposal containers like Waste Management MedWaste Tracker Box)
Household Hazardous Waste and Electronic Recycling Collection
As part of the residential solid waste and recycling contract with Waste Management, effective January 1, 2019, you have a convenient new opportunity to dispose of your household generated special materials- safely, easily and responsibly. Introducing the At Your Door Special Collection SM program, a residential service offered by Waste Management to provide year-round collections for you. For a printable version of the following information, click on the following link: Household Hazardous Waste Collection Information Flyer
HOW DOES IT WORK?
1. To Participate, you must set up a collection appointment.
There are three ways to schedule a collection:
Go to www.WMAtYourDoor.com
Call 1-800-449-7587 (Monday-Friday 8:00am-8:00pm Eastern Time)
The Call Center operators will guide you through the steps toward a safe and successful collection. You will be asked several questions, including your address and the type and amount of materials available for the pick up. You will be provided a convenient collection date and information about where to place the kit for collection. A kit will be sent to your home in plenty of time for you to gather and pack your materials.
2. Preparing for collection
The collection kit includes an instruction sheet and other items to help pack and secure your household generated special materials. Please read the instruction sheet included in the kit.
3. Material is collected
On the scheduled date, the customer service technician will collect materials directly from your home. They will sort and pack the materials for proper transportation, recycling and disposal. Participants will receive a postage-paid survey card to complete and mail back to help track the program.
4. You have more material than will fit into the Kit?
Remember, this service is available year-round. Just schedule another collection! Small quantities may be combined with your neighbors. Call Center Representatives are available from Monday – Friday 8:00 AM – 8:00 PM ET. Leave a message after hours, weekends and holidays. Email the Call Center: AtYourDoor@WM.com
Managing Household Hazardous Waste: The best method of managing Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is to prevent its generation in the first place. This involves selecting the least toxic item “to do the job” and buying only the minimum amounts necessary. Buying in large quantities is not a bargain if half of it has to be discarded. In the future, please consider buying environmentally friendly products.
Did You Know?
Latex paint is not a hazardous waste. It can often be donated to community groups and other organizations for re-use. Please consider this option before disposal.
Used motor oil is not hazardous, but may pollute our groundwater, waterways and soil if not properly managed. Many automotive station, auto parts and supply stores will accept used motor oil for recycling.
Automotive batteries may be exchanged at the place of purchase. Many battery retailers offer recycling even if you are not purchasing a new battery. In some cases, there may be a charge. Some scrap yards will also purchase lead acid batteries.
For more information on HHW, visit DEP through the Pennsylvania Homepage at www.state.pa.us or directly at www.dep.state.pa.us